Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Grease spot on the sidewalk of life


I am feeling crummy today, so decided to write on how to feel better.

Our paper, the Arizona Republic, is riffing off on ways to improve your outlook.

I usually hate sappy stuff, but here goes.

First, get not only out of the house, but out of yourself. Volunteer for something.

Swim (you may have a pool nearby you never use).

Cook something weird.

Take dance classes.

Go to the nearest massage school and see if they give discounts.

The outside of a dog is good for the inside of a person. I have been trying to get a spare dog, preferably one abandoned when someone had to move. The rescue people have more hoops that a barrel maker.

Get the Singles vaccine. Sure, would love to—it costs a ton and insurance cos don’t want to pay.

Take a hike. A hike—trees?

Get a few laughs. I have been writing on Laugh Therapy—really, it has scientists and everything. Half an hour a day of laughing lowers BP, strengthens your immune system, and does everything else for ya except take out the trash.

Go to http://worldlaughtertrour.com or try singing Happy Birthday to someone in Ha’s, not words. Or greet someone by bursting into laughter instead of saying, “Glad to meet ya.”

If no one throws a net over ya, you’re already having a good day.

Write that down.

I am counting on it myself.

4 comments:

raging said...

cute dog on the boat. is that yours? mine loved boating. she was a fearless sailor. sorry the boat had to go bye bye.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38323007@N07/3532787839/in/photostream?edited=1

can you give some advise on vision care? due to a job layoff my pre-tax savings account set aside for new binoculars/bi-bifocals was forfeited. HR didn't explain properly the account would be dropped if contributions didn't continue (though I asked several times for clarification). a search for free or cheap goggles leads nowhere. do you know of a program for vision test & free or really cheap eyeglasses? I'd be willing to pay them back any extension of credit just to get rid of eyestrain headaches & get some heavy tec reading out of the way. thanks

Star Lawrence said...

No--I bought that pix a long time ago--it didn't fit this segment too well, but I like it, too, so I htrew it on there. Always time for a dog. Anyway, I am a lake fanatic and this reminded me of many happy summers at Squirrel Lake in northern Wisc. Your dog is a sailor boy! How funny.

Vision care. I don't know too much--readers, can you chip? I had a $10 mo dental thing from Peoples once that paid a pretty large amt, actually. They had a vision plan you could also get. There are many vision discount cards. I would try--in this atmosphere--going into a glasses store and saying can you help me out and cut me a deal... The worst they can say is nope.

raging said...

she's cute in her red life jacket & bungee leash too. a real man magnet. large bodies of water always cheer me up. canoeing on a river with just a little white water is a special rush.
thx for the reminders. got one membership that hasn't expired yet. couple of vision centers offer AAA discount. i'm going for broke. wth! next yr maybe Lasik surgery.
hope you feel better soon Star.

Star Lawrence said...

Thanks--weird stomach pains--I am about 90% over it.

When we went to Squirrel Lake, my Dad used to make the toddlers not only wear life jackets, but a rope under the armpits. If they pitched overboard, he yanked them out like a yo-yo. This would probably be terribly frowned upon today.