Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Do you have goals?


I was never one to have a one-year, five-year, and ten-year plan. I let life happen to me. This turned out to be a mixed bag--some absolutely great things happened and also some disgusting and terrible things.

There is a old saying--Life is what happens while you are making plans.

I also don't believe that just the intention of doing well, even with lifelong hard work, guarantees fulfillment of your goals (see State of the Union speech).

If you are in school, you have the goal of finishing. If you finish, you have the goal of making a living. Some people want to get married--so that can be a goal (see online dating).

Some gurus say write the goal down, then break it into benchmarks. Learn this, volunteer to do that, work out this many times a week.

Do you do this? Maybe I should. But I am an old puppy and this would be a new trick.

I was thinking about life the other day. Some people see "time" as a river rushing past, carrying off people and ideas you hold back into the past. I tend to think of this as a lake--you pop up--see or think of someone you knew, there they are--not downstream someplace.

Maybe I need a new goal that was an old goal.

Oh--this is getting too deep.

No comments: