Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Oh, no, here we go again--positive attitude

I do not have a positive attitude. Never have, never will. Moments of fun, contentment, and happiness can be fleeting. If something good happens, fine, I love it. If not (such as undiagnosed whackos shooting things up), then at least I was right--life is not a bowl of little red tree fruit.

I like being right--it makes me feel happy.

So, when I saw Anita Bruzzese, Gannett, quoting Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage, I cringed. This is Achor's second book about happiness. Overkill?

He studied a big investment bank that went belly up--employees who stay productive embraced new realities.

What does that mean--no job and being strapped?

No--Achor says it means making stress work for you. Stress hormones can improve your performance.

They can deepen your ties to others, he says.

He recommends trying to look at things from different vantage points. Working extra for less money--well, that money will help your kids.

Volunteer--being altruistic can result in promotions, he says.

Eat and sleep healthily.

Ask people from different backgrounds for advice.

If you ask me, a good cry never hurts.

By the way--the Al Capp character with his own rain cloud always made me smile, then I learned Capp was mean and cruel and tragic. I probably would not have liked him despite my negativity. You can go too far.

No comments: