Friday, January 17, 2014

When it's best to not speak

I have learned in my family to be VERY careful of what I say in response to my family members. Usually, I clam.

Geoffrey Tumlin writes about the virtues of playing dumb in the Jan 16, 2014, issue of Govt Executive.

We see it on the news everyday--someone saying something dumb or wrong. This also happens in the office.

The only way to affect the impact of this on you is to play dumb yourself--or pretend you didn't hear it.

Put on your best poker face, Tumlin advises. You may think, "I can't believe she said that," but don't roll your eyes or grimace. Don't overdo your lack of reaction--this can be ridiculous.

If you are too clueless, the person may repeat the statement.

Don't be so eager to say the opposite of someone or prove them wrong. Especially don't whip out your phone to find a contradictory fact.

Also, don't play dumb too often.

People will think you are dumb or not paying attention.


No comments: