Monday, March 24, 2014

Sooo...how to you think you qualify?

Back when I was seeking freelance assignments, I had one rule--if I didn't know what a job was or the "title" did not explain it, I did not apply. I gather I thought I could master almost anything else--or had mastered it.

CareerBuilder goes into this--pointing out that "What do you think your greatest weakness is?" is still an interview staple.

This is a trick question.

I would say, "Plasma physics." But I always was a smart ass. And this is rarely appreciated in a job interview. Trust me, I know.

You don't want to say, "I tend to ignore deadlines." They don't want people who do that.

And it's pretty dorky to say, "I tend to work too hard." Really--no, seriously.

So it doesn't hurt to think about what your strengths and weaknesses are. There is a program called Strengthfinder 2.0.

Think back on feedback from other managers.

Are you a people person? A great "follower" willing to pitch in anyplace? Or an analytical recluse? A wacky genius type? Think!

No comments: