Friday, August 8, 2014

Will everyone be online?

Good old Mark Zuckerberg, CEO Facebook, which of course you knew, was opining about the future i n the WSJ, July 8, 2014.

He points out that only a third of the world's population is on the internet.

Everyone should be hooked up, he thinks. Yet, the connectedness is only increasing 9% a year, he laments.

He goes on and on about a global sense of community, participating in the world economy, etc etc.

But I think people may be a little wary--and some of this is from things he has done--like crossposting everyone's business all over the place via FB, having ads follow us around, capturing God knows what about us, dabbling in medical records, on and on.

Do we need our phones to turn on our coffee makers? Do we need an app to find a hot guy a block from us--come over the play.

On Thurs, my TV and internet were down for four hours. I was bereft. I tried not to get mad. I cleaned my desk.

Yet, I think of my late mother who lived almost a century--she never sat before a computer or touched a key in her life. She was fine with it.

No comments: