Friday, August 22, 2014

You said no to a vacation?

Fifteen percent of workers did not use a minute of their paid vacay last year.

This produces--they say--heart problems, bad morale, and reduced productivity.

Vacation resisters also make people feel guilty and just generally screw up the rightness of things.

Some places make vacations mandatory--even if you "staycate" at home. Others pay for tickets.

(Which ones--the tickets?)

Still, studies show 13% of managers are less likely to promote those who use all their time. Those who don't vacation as much also get bigger raises.

Some people feel vacations aren't worth it--expensive, you feel good for two weeks (or harried or the kids drive you nuts), then you're back.

How do you feel about this? I have not had a "vacation" in 20 years--this is my vacation. When I had a "real" job, I also hated to leave--things got screwed up, my staff took advantage and left early, they called me, etc.

I once heard banks made people take vacations--because if someone was embezzling, it would come out, they could not cover it up from afar.

Is that still true? Good story, anyhow.

No comments: