Friday, March 27, 2015

My networking adventure

I graduated from The Elliott School of International Affairs at Geo Washington Univ in DC in 1966.

That is officially The Wayback.

I still get the alum magazine and emails from The Elliott School (is the "The" pretentious? Yeah, a little, I think).

Anyhow, I noticed they were having a virtual networking event. What is that?

Well, it turned out to be a computer-based chance to type back and forth with grads for up to eight minutes at a time--compare notes, maybe make a connection. They make a transcript you can look at later.

I signed up for LA--since I am seeking contacts for my cartoon venture.

The event was one hour. I sat there waiting for a contact to be flashed on my screen and then would engage in a little typed convo.

It was kind of high pressure--read, digest, type in a second...Most of the people were pretty recent grads, I think. Several in accounting... I would ask where do you work? Do you like it? I also in several instances, recommended this site for those looking for job advice.

I got one contact who might be useful in my cartoon area--an intellectual property lawyer. Will tag with him later.

If you are interested in setting something like this up, it was run by Brazen Careerist-- http://brazencareerist.com. I am sure they will be eager to help.


No comments: