Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Don't say these things at work

We get it--you have a lot of work.
Beth Braccio Herring, CareerBuilder, says there are some things you should never say.

"I can't take on more work--I am overwhelmed." Yes, people are working more, doing more with fewer people--but save the drama for your mama.

"Joe is an idiot." Joe probably is an idiot...but he could be your boss in the future. If you know he's an idiot--it probably goes without saying.

"That's not fair." Catch up--nothing is fair. Suckups get promotions even if people know they are sucking up. Hard workers generate hostility for making others look lazy. Just because you have been at a place a long time is no guarantee you will rise to the top. You may be misunderstood--be the injured party--none of this is fair.

"That's not how we did it at my old company." Well, go back there then!

"I'll have it on my desk by 3 PM" when you will only think up a new excuse at 3 PM. If you can't make a deadline, give a heads-up.

"I'm bored." This never ends well. You will get more work or the boss will question why he or she is even paying you.

My mother used to say, "Only boring people get bored." Think about that one.

No comments: