Thursday, March 10, 2016

When you should ask the questions

You have read up on the company, scoured their website, googled, and think you know the culture--you are ready to answer any questions the interviewer has.

But--asks Rob Zalivar of CareerBuilder, what questions do YOU have?

He quotes Ron Fry, author of 101 Smart Questions to Ask in Your Interview. You need to know company history, major competitors, how this company compares in size to others in the industry, products, services, large customers, and the latest news.

You also should know the backgrounds of the principals.

But you also may want to ask or clarify: What role the job plays in the organization. Why is it vacant?

Beyond that, you may wish to say something like, "I read about your new (product, service, initiative, IPO)--how will I be able to contribute?"

Or: "I noticed your company values listed on your website. Tell me how I can be customer-centric (or another value) in this position?"

Or: "What is your favorite part of the company culture?"

Above all, don't be afraid to ask questions...

One I do not recommend is: "What time do people leave work?" At least not first thing.

No comments: