Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Rant on manners--from a friend

A friend of mine--like me--is not enchanted with today's manners in the workplace.

Here is some of what she wrote me:

Regarding simple communication etiquette: There ain't none no more, be it in the workplace or out and about in society or even among friends. And forget phones, emails, and mail. You'd think with everyone wanting to be so immediate in their connections that they'd be also concerned with manners. But no, none of them have mothers, or so it seems.

This reminds me of a pet peeve in the work place, she continues.  I'd walk to a co-worker's cube to ask or talk about a work-related issue. That person would have another guest talking to him/her in the cube's entry way or would be on the phone. I'd show up and wait to be acknowledged and then have the cube inhabitant say "I'll be with you in a moment" or "This is a non-work-related conversation, so we'll quit and I'll talk to you now" or something along those lines. 

It NEVER happened. I'd wait for a minute. Be completely unacknowledged. And return to my cube. Hey, if you don't care, I don't care. Too weird, really.

She also told me her ex used to nail people who interrupted rudely by saying, "Don't you have a mother?"

Apparently this reference to manners learned at a mother's knee went--WHOOSH--right over their heads.

The other day I read an interesting phrase: "We need less data and more information."

Maybe we should also say, "We need fewer communications tools and more communication."

Think? 

No comments: