Friday, September 2, 2016

What's a communications degree?

A young man doing some work at my house told me he is going to a job interview today at a big bank--sales associate.

He is at community college in pre-business/communications and asked me what a communications degree really was. Hmmm...After all my blithering on this blog, I kind of spitballed it. Part journalism--learn to write--part broadcasting maybe--social media--being culturally aware--psychology.

Would a bank want that or business? I am not sure...what do you think?

They didn't have this as a degree, at least I don't remember it, 50 yrs ago when I was in college.

I don't know if I helped this young man--or not. I also offered the usual interview advice, spruce outfit, firm handshake, listen more than talk but have some questions, know the culture. etc. Above all, appear to want the job--some enthusiasm, without overdoing it.

Still, I felt a little weak on this...

I don't want to take this too far--but I think the American culture--even the world culture--has changed away from print and toward electronic--people get their information, motivation, everything from listening and watching--or at least a lot of it. So those who can "communicate" are influencers.

Weird moment.

No comments: